Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Song #55: Baha Men - "Move it Like This"


Song #55: Baha Men - "Move it Like This" (2002)
Move it Like This
"Smooth music is kickin', clippin', we rush back and we keep dippin'!"

Why the once-wildly popular, even if not by name, Baha Men are still struggling to resurface with their own infectious proven successful blend of house music and Jamaican sound in the era where lyrical sloganeering and Top 40 radio is king is beyond me. However, because of this, going back to their old music leads one to find songs that are not dated nor lacking in excitement, with nearly every track off their 2002 album Move it Like This bearing the ability to blast right through ones speakers and produce a fittingly potent and original music sound.

"Move it Like This" is what started it all for me with the Baha Men, for it was a song that, for a while, you seemingly couldn't escape since it was in nearly every children's film in the early 2000's because it was so upbeat and jivey, and that the Baha Men had been recording multiple different songs for a wide-variety of films, including the titular track for one of my childhood and teenage favorites Rat Race. The band was everywhere, and I heard their song "Move it Like This" almost everywhere I'd go; even in the most unlikely places like running and doing warmup exercises around the perimeter of the gym in my second grade gym class.

"Move it Like This" is really nothing special from a song perspective, with average lyrics that are only disguised by the abundance of twists and differentiations in the truly contagious beat. What makes this song a winner in my book, and noteworthy in my book, is the fact that it was a song that clearly defined a period in media when I was a kid, and, for that matter, it was a song I actually enjoyed listening to and still do. As I stated in my writeup for the Baha Men's criminally unheard song "Normal" (number ninety-six on "The One-Hundred Songs of Steve Pulaski"), when I was young, I always implored my mom to play this CD whenever we went anywhere, being the grocery store or just a lengthy ride to grandma's. The first three tracks - the two aforementioned songs and "Coconut" - flash me back to a certain point in life, as well as helping me call the ubiquity of the Bahamian music group that took so much prominence in the early 2000's. 

Give "Move it Like This" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM6hkpMixWI

No comments:

Post a Comment