Tuesday, December 23, 2014

"The Ten Christmas Songs of Steve Pulaski:" Song #2: Toby Keith - "Little Drummer Boy"

"The Ten Christmas Songs of Steve Pulaski"

Song #2: Toby Keith - "Little Drummer Boy" (2007)
A Classic Christmas
"I have no gift to bring, pa, rum, pa, pum, pum. That's fit to give a king, pa, rum, pa, pum pum. Rum, pa, pum, pum."

Every time I have tried to tell friends, family, or acquaintances that one of the best renditions of "Little Drummer Boy" I have ever heard comes from country artist Toby Keith, I'm met with rolling eyes or casual dismissal, even if I try to keep the straightest face. While I realize country is one of the most divisive musical genres alongside hip-hop, and Toby Keith is a "love him or hate him" kind of artist, his version of "Little Drummer Boy" remains my favorite. For one, Keith's trademark deep, baritone voice allows the song to be sung in a terrifically affecting way, and one that makes for an inanely catchy and infectious rhythm all the more. Keith also utilizes his instrumentation options in a perfect manner, allowing them to be explosive at the right times and regressive at others, making each "rum, pa, pum, pum" all the more intoxicating. 

Before you give yourself a headache from all the eye-rolling, all I can say is give it a listen below.

Give "Little Drummer Boy" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_9X8jfzUk

No comments:

Post a Comment