Saturday, September 6, 2014

[Delayed Post]: Song #5: Dolla feat. T-Pain and Tay Dizm - "Who the Fuck is That?"

 Song #5: Dolla feat. T-Pain and Tay Dizm - "Who the Fuck is That?" (2008)
The Miseducation of Dolla
"You be runnin' when I shoot, I be shootin' when you runnin', 'Kon got me out the streets, told me 'Dolla, get that money!'"

"Who the Fuck is That?" was the first song I ever heard by Atlanta-based rapper Dolla, who quickly rose to earning my title of "favorite rapper." I discovered the song by browsing through the single discography of rapper T-Pain in what was a simple bout of listlessness while on Wikipedia one day in 2008. I found a song called "Who the Fuck is That?" and marveled at the brazenness of its lyrics, but mostly, the promise and commendable effort put forth by the album's lead singer Dolla.

Dolla sings with such power on the song, living up to the standards set forth by the promising and demanding production of the song. He raps with breakneck flow and addicting choruses that prove impeccable talent for someone so young and seemingly inexperienced in the world. However, one look at the young rapper and a listen to one or two of his songs proves that he has knowledge, fluidity, and incomparable ideas that make him an effective product of his often broken and seedy environment.

He's assisted other rappers on Akon's Konvict label, which Dolla was signed to up until his tragic death in 2009, a death that still appalls and dismays whenever it stumbles across my mind. Dolla is assisted by the likes of T-Pain, who enjoyed monstrous, surprisingly long-term success from 2007 to 2009, and Tay Dizm, another rapper who is still looking for his success. With that, "Who the Fuck is That?" is a superb gem in rap music that still makes me sing aloud whenever I hear it.

Give "Who the Fuck is That?" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiw9C12AolE

No comments:

Post a Comment