Monday, September 8, 2014

"The One-Hundred Songs of Steve Pulaski" in Summation: A look back at the three-month-long blog series and a brief look at another forthcoming endeavor

September 8th, 2014 marks the end to "The One-Hundred Songs of Steve Pulaski" blog series, a massive, daily-undertaking of writing unique, individualized writeups on the one-hundred songs that a personal effect on me or songs that I felt were criminally underrated and deserved recognition. The blog series began June 1st, 2014 and continued all the way until September 8th, 2014 where a brand new writeup would be posted each day (with a few missteps and late releases) and would be marketed around social media, giving readers a more personal look into my upbringing and my views on music along with exciting and intriguing new music to check out.

In terms of readership, the blog series wasn't that successful, mainly because of the niche-topic and the different domain from my traditional ProBoards, Youtube, and Blogspot link. Admittedly, I was disappointed that readership wasn't higher and, in that regard, the blog series is, by conventional definition, a flop. Yet, in a money-driven, viewership-driven society, we think of how much we made or how much we got out of putting into a product, and it's hard to condemn or obscure that fact when it makes up so much of why we do something. However, I cannot measure the amount of personal gratification it took me to create and publish this blog, writing several unique writeups day-in and day-out, resurrecting memories and old favorite songs and reflecting on moments in my life gave me an incredible amount of happiness each and every day.

My neighbor described the series better than I have when I was telling him about what I was doing with this project. "It sounds like a diary," he said, "a public diary where people can read into you and your feelings, and the fact that you're honest and descriptive about your feelings on music make it that much more interesting." I couldn't have said it better. The blog series was a public diary; an entryway into my life and my emotions with music, and with that, I consider the series a huge success.

I'd like to take this time to announce that this isn't the last daily blog series you'll be seeing from me either. Starting December 15th, 2014 and going until December 24th, 2014, I will be doing "The Ten Christmas Songs of Steve Pulaski," where I list my top favorite Christmas songs, which will deviate greatly from your archetypal "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" and "Silent Night." I also plan on doing a blog on my ten favorite musicians currently working today, a blog on my top five favorite songs from 2014 at the beginning of 2015, and continue doing album reviews on my main ProBoards site. I'll still be active with music, just not to the extent of "The One-Hundred Songs of Steve Pulaski" blog series...for now, at least.

Below is some statistical data for "The One-Hundred Songs of Steve Pulaski," with the songs broken up by genre and what percentage said genre made up of the entire blog series. Also included are the most common artists of the blog and ten songs that were originally slated to make it into the blog series but were cut last minute.

The most popular artists of the blog series, out of eighty-five artists:
Hank Williams III - 6
Gary Numan - 5
Hank Williams - 5
Chief Keef - 4
Dolla - 4
Toby Keith - 4

A breakdown of what percentage specific genres made up of the blog series:
Country (27%):
99. I Don't Have to Be Me ('Til Monday) - Steve Azar
92. Where the Blacktop Ends - Keith Urban
91. I'm Just Talkin' About Tonight - Toby Keith
90. Some Beach - Blake Shelton
85. Cocaine Blues - Hank Williams III
83. Common Man - John Conlee
82. Move It On Over - Hank Williams
80. The Race is On - George Jones
79. Copperhead Road - Steve Earle
76. Why Can't We All Just Get a Longneck? - Hank Williams, Jr.
74. Brokenheartsville - Joe Nichols
73. Straight To Hell ("Satan is Real" Medley) - Hank Williams III
70. People Like Us - Aaron Tippin
66. Baby We're Really In Love - Hank Williams
60. When the Sun Goes Down - Kenny Chesney and Uncle Kracker
58. Billy's Got His Beer Goggles On - Neal McCoy
53. Crazed Country Rebel - Hank Williams III
52. How Do You Like Me Now?! - Toby Keith
50. Settin' the Woods on Fire - Hank Williams
42. Gutter Town - Hank Williams III
39. Waitin' on Joe - Steve Azar
33. It's a Great Day to Be Alive - Travis Tritt
32. Should've Been a Cowboy - Toby Keith
31. If the Shoe Fits - Hank Williams III
21. Six Pack of Beer - Hank Williams III
7. I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive - Hank Williams
2. Beer for My Horses - Toby Keith feat. Willie Nelson

Rock (21%):
84. Lookin' Out My Backdoor - Credence Clearwater Revival
77. Some Kind of Wonderful - Grand Funk Railroad
71. My Back Pages - Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, and George Harrison
68. Can't Even Tell - Soul Asylum
67. I'm Alright - Kenny Loggins
65: Only the Good Die Young - Billy Joel
56. The Resist Stance - Bad Religion
54. Limelight - Rush
51. Carry on Wayward Son - Kansas
49. Runnin' Down a Dream - Tom Petty
45. Midlife Crisis - Faith No More
40. Take Me Home Tonight - Eddie Money
37. American Pie - Don McLean
36. I Fought the Law - The Clash
35. Ridin' the Storm Out - REO Speedwagon
30. A Horse With No Name - America
26. Proud Mary - Credence Clearwater Revival
22. Piano Man - Billy Joel
16. Life's Been Good to Me - Joe Walsh
13. Everything Louder Than Everything Else - Meat Loaf
11. The One I Love - R.E.M.

Rap (18%):
100. Crank That (Soulja Boy) - Soulja Boy Tell 'Em
98. Got Them Bands - Chief Keef
93. Ride Wit Me - Nelly feat. City Spud
88. Super Size Me - Toothpick
87. Statistic - Dolla
78. Out Here Grindin' - DJ Khaled feat. Akron, Rick Ross, Plies, Lil Boosie, Trick Daddy, and Ace Hood
69. Kay Kay - Chief Keef
63. Role Model - Dolla
62. Shit Bag - Plies
61. The Show Goes On - Lupe Fiasco
47. Real Nigga Roll Call - Lil Jon and The Eastside Boyz
41. Stepped on My J'z - Nelly, Jermaine Dupri, and Ciara
34. Savage - Chief Keef
28. Corner High School - Dolla
18. Lollipop - Lil Wayne feat. Static Major
17. Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A.
5. Who the Fuck is That? - Dolla, T-Pain, and Tay Dizm
3. Love Sosa - Chief Keef

Pop (16%):
97. Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
96. Normal - Baha Men
94. Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye feat. Kimbra
89. Ocean Man - Ween
64. Burning Love - Elvis Presley
59. They Don't Care About Us - Michael Jackson
57. Let it Whip - The Dazz Band
55. Move It Like This - Baha Men
48. Poetry in Motion - Johnny Tillotson
29. Crocodile Rock - Elton John
25. Coconut - Baha Men
24. Dragostea Din Tei - O-ZONE
23. Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson
20. Wavin' Flag - K'naan
15. Mayor of Simpleton - XTC
9. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers

Techno/Remix/Other (12%):
75. Reason - Giuseppe Andrews
72. Down in the Park - Gary Numan/Tubeway Army
38. Laroo - Giuseppe Andrews
27. Electrocuted - Giuseppe Andrews
19. Metal - Gary Numan
14. The Machman - Gary Numan
13. Everything Louder Than Everything Else - Meat Loaf
12. Schmoyoho - Bed Intruder Song
10. Cars (Remix) - Fear Factory and Gary Numan
8. In the Year 2525 - Zager and Evans
4. You Play to Win the Game - DJ Steve Porter
1. Cars - Gary Numan

Comedy/Parody (4%):
95. King of Suede - Weird Al Yankovic
86. Asshole - Denis Leary
81. Hit Somebody (The Hockey Song) - Warren Zevon
6. White and Nerdy - "Weird Al" Yankovic

Folk (3%):
46. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - The Four Lads
44. Winchester Cathedral - The New Vaudeville Band
43. I'm Henry the Eighth - Herman's Hermits Starring Peter Noone

Songs that were originally slated to be in the blog series but were replaced last minute (make no mistake, I still thoroughly enjoy these songs - maybe one day, they'll get a belated entry):

Didn't Make the Cut:
101. "Rhinestone Cowboy" - Glen Campbell
102. "Video Killed the Radio Star" - The Buggles 
103. "We Didn't Start the Fire" - Billy Joel 
104. "'Merican" - Descendants 
105. "Bad Moon Rising" - Creedence Clearwater Revival 
105. "Day 'n' Nite" - Kid Cudi 
106. "Already Gone" - The Eagles 
107. "Party Like a Rockstar" - Shop Boyz 
108. "Elvira" - The Oak Ridge Boys
109. "Rock N Roll Jesus" - Kid Rock
110. "Days Go By" - Keith Urban

I thank you once more for indulging in "The One-Hundred Songs of Steve Pulaski." It was a privilege for me to publish and illustrate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment