Sunday, September 7, 2014

Song #3: Chief Keef - "Love Sosa"

Song #3: Chief Keef - "Love Sosa" (2012)
Finally Rich
"Raris and Rovers, these hoes love Chief Sosa; hit 'em with that cobra, now that boy slumped ova."

My writeup on Chief Keef's addicting song "Love Sosa" will be considerably shorter, given the fact that I already wrote a blog concerning the Chicago-based rapper and his monstrous rise to fame, along with this particular song. To try and exercise brevity when it comes to "Love Sosa," it's one of the most infectious and satisfying rap songs I've ever heard, predominately for its brazenness and its invitation into the life of a violent and carefree teen rapper.

Keef, born Keith Cozart in the notoriously violent and gang-infested Chicago suburb of Englewood, has made clear his gang-affiliation with 3hunna/O'Block, a gang that originated in his housing project of Parkway Gardens. Keef has been unapologetic in his love for the lifestyle, rather than the typical hatred and condemnation of such a lifestyle. While numerous songs detail his lifestyle, "Love Sosa" does so in a fragmented style, meaning he uses a great detail of random, interconnected sentences in hope to achieve a banger.

"Love Sosa" shouldn't be as loved by me as it is, really. When I first heard the song, I detested it, finding its lyricism awful and its flow weak. But I had a biting urge to hear it again. Then again. Then play it to my mother. Then send it to my uncle, who loves rap music. Then I had to download it. Then I had to sing it aloud whenever I heard it. Then I had to play it on the jukeboxes in bars. Then I added it to my playlist for songs I plan to play on my ride to the first day of college. Yeah, I'm kind of obsessed.

While "Love Sosa" isn't my favorite Keef song in terms of lyricism and relevance, it is probably my favorite song in terms of its sound and production, alongside Keef and Lil Reese's "I Don't Like." Chicago-based producer Young Chop handles the production on "Love Sosa" and makes it click instantaneously, adding infectious sounds and incredible synthesizers to make an effective hip-hop song, erected off of everything the "drill" subgenre in rap is made of ("drill" is characterized by Chicago music that details violent situations with excessive vulgarity and "trap"-style instrumentation).

All I ask, like I do with every song I post, is for you to listen to "Love Sosa" and form your own opinion. Most will hate it, few will truly love it, and I doubt anyone will appreciate it quite like myself.

Give "Love Sosa" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLeTLe811Wg

No comments:

Post a Comment