Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Song #76: Hank Williams, Jr. - "Why Can't We All Just Get a Longneck?"

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/71/51/87/88/0071518788302_500X500.jpg 
Song #76: Hank Williams, Jr. - "Why Can't We All Just Get a Longneck?"
I'm One of You
"Why can't we all just get a longneck? And see how good gettin' along could be?"

Say whatever you'd like about Hank Williams, Jr. controversial opinions about politics, President Barack Obama, and such - because, frankly, most of the political criticisms for him are well-warranted, but don't knock on his song "Why Can't We All Just Get a Longneck?" with myself in earshot. The song is probably the best summation for my personal political/social beliefs and my world views, even if it is oversimplifying and kind of childish in its proclamation, it's still a damn-well honest question.

Whenever I turn on the news to hear about gang violence, a murder, a raping, a stabbing, what-have-you, this song starts quietly playing in my head. It asks two fair questions: one being the title of the song, the second being, "can't we just agree we're gonna disagree?" Even the film's music video shows a group of well-meaning bar patrons brawling and fighting, before Hank himself steps up to a podium to ask his key questions. 

Coming out in 2003, the song was arguably Hank Williams, Jr.'s first hit in a long time, actually getting its own music video to go along with it (watching the Country Music Television -  or CMT - daily, for hours on end as a kid, I saw this music video thrown in the lineup every now and then). Since this song, Jr. has failed to captivate me like his father and his own son Hank Williams III. I think of Jr. as the typical rowdy country musician, not really helping pioneer a genre into the mainstream like his father, or help recover it from an overdose on frothy, pop country like his son. I see him as an average, rowdy musician with obnoxious political beliefs.

But I have no particular personal quibbles with Jr. himself, and when I turn twenty-one, would gladly treat him to a longneck of his choice if I ever saw him in a bar.

Give "Why Can't We All Just Get a Longneck?" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy8tIA50YM4

No comments:

Post a Comment