Friday, June 13, 2014

Song #88: Toothpick - "Super Size Me"

Song #88: Toothpick - "Super Size Me" (2004)
Super Size Me
"Right now you have the urge to eat something..."

Super Size Me was one of the first documentaries I had ever watched and still one of the most entertaining films I've ever seen. I saw this film when it came out - at eight years old - and it still captivated me enough, mainly because it featured a corporation I was very familiar with and first-time-documentarian Morgan Spurlock knew how to take a serious subject and make it extractable and easy to understand.

Even from the first time I saw Super Size Me, I distinctly remembered its soundtrack, composed of wacky pop tunes and hilariously unpredictable songs that would often be directly germane to the subject matter at hand (IE: Ohio Express's "Yummy Yummy Yummy" and Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" to name a few). One of which was Toothpick's "Super Size Me," a rap song, which had its instrumentation played at some points during the film but was played in its entirety during the film's end credits. I remember as a kid, who just got his first portable DVD player, fighting to get the film to rewind in order for me to hear this song again and again.

The song is still hilarious as it details the idea of desiring a quick fix for fast food which eventually results in bloatedness and obesity for the narrator. The song was so fast-paced, hilariously honest, and wildly entertaining that I just had to memorize it and keep it with me. That goal was met, and even after not hearing the song for maybe three years until today, I still remember all the words like I did in fourth and fifth grade.

A large part of the song's success is not just because of Toothpick's talent in singing all these complex and goofy lines at a solid, quicker pace but his voice in addition, which is soulful and easy to listen to thanks to its richness and deepness. Combine that with his infectious lyrics and melody and you have a song that's impossible not to sing along to if you know the lyrics.

Give "Super Size Me" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXsX7eoouzQ

No comments:

Post a Comment