Thursday, June 12, 2014

Song #89: Ween - "Ocean Man"

Song #89: Ween - "Ocean Man" (1997)
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie - Music from the Movie and More...
"Ocean Man, the sequence of a life form braised in the sand; soaking up the thirst of the land. Ocean Man."

I saw The Spongebob Squarepants Movie in theaters with my father November 19th, 2004, the first Friday it was out. I remember anticipating the film all week and seeing it opening day was something I rarely did with films. After being mesmerized by the film's beautiful animation and wit, I always remember my fascination with the film's credit songs. Unlike most films, where credit music starts out with a popular or known song with lyrics before descending into simple instrumentation, The Spongebob Squarepants Movie featured songs with lyrics all the way until the final frame, which was something of an oddity. The other thing to note was, unbelievably, all the songs were great.

The songs went in the order of Ween's infectious "Ocean Man," The Flaming Lips' unique "talking-song" "SpongeBob and Patrick Confront the Psychic Wall of Energy," Wilco's incredible and motivating song "Just a Kid," which fell perfectly in line with the themes of the film we just watched, and finally ended with Spongebob's very own song "Best Day Ever." Just writing that out and remembering the joy those songs brought me brings tears to my eyes. If only my memories of yesterday's lesson in College Algebra or AP Macroeconomics could be that vivid.

Ween's "Ocean Man" is a strange little tune, with the band's vocals sounding as if they're being recorded and mix from deep in the oceans, as the bandmembers belt out goofy lines about living in the sea that make little sense. And let's not forget that addicting instrumentation either. This is a song that I can't accurately summarize in terms of why I like it; I simply find it as unabashedly unique and a song that sounds nothing like other songs I have heard in my life. The memories that rush back when I decide to give this one the time of my day on my phone are unbelievable.

Give "Ocean Man" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E5m_XtCX3c

No comments:

Post a Comment