Sunday, June 8, 2014

Song #93: Nelly feat. City Spud - "Ride Wit Me"

Song #93: Nelly feat. City Spud - "Ride Wit Me" (2000)
Country Grammar
"I'm gettin' pages out of New Jersey from Courtney B telling me about a party up in NYC. Can I make it? Damn right, I'll be on the next flight. Paying cash, first class, sittin' next to Vanna White."

Nelly's "Ride Wit Me" was one of the first (quite possibly the first) rap song I ever heard, circa 2001 in the end credits of Scary Movie 2. From there on out, I was addicted to this song, to the point I was replaying the credits of Scary Movie 2 over and over again just to hear the song (I did that with another song that'll appear on this list in the near-future). 

"Ride Wit Me," from the first listen, for me, was addicting, from Nelly's rapid-fire lyrics, to his cocky, carefree attitude, to the slang-heavy phrases that mystified me as a young child and still do to some degree today (thankfully I got friends to help me out). The point is, even as a young child, I recognized this song had an aura about it, regardless of what it was. It was a song that I could play whenever I needed something to just take me out of my world and transport me into someone else's for a few minutes.

My favorite line of the song - quoted above - is one I took upon myself to memorize early on. I remember rewinding Scary Movie 2's credits at that specific part of the song in order to try and say the entire section of the song without getting tripped up. Even listening to this song before I wrote this, I replayed that part about six times and got it right four out of the six times. Some things never change and "Ride Wit Me" is one of my all-time favorite rap songs from an artist I still find intoxicating and underappreciated.

Give "Ride Wit Me" a listen,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9dp-jxGD2o

No comments:

Post a Comment