Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Song #98: Chief Keef - "Got Them Bands

Song #98: Chief Keef - "Got Them Bands" (2012)
Finally Rich
"She know papa got that cash; she know papa hella rich."

Chief Keef's "Got Them Bands" - which serves as one of the three bonus tracks to his debut album Finally Rich you'd get if you bought the deluxe edition - was my theme song for Homecoming 2013. For those who don't know me in person, and are unaware of what happened in September 2013, I was nominated Homecoming King and went on to win the title of royalty based on the senior class vote. For me, it was an enormous honor and a total surprise. I knew I had gone on to get to know many people in high school, but the fact that I had left enough of an impression on people that they felt I deserved such a heavy title was astounding. Not to mention, your archetypal Homecoming King is the football player; not the blonde kid with a mullet who wears gray every day and writes film reviews online. It was then I realized how many people supported me and, in turn, September 27th, 2013 - the day I was awarded the royalty and spent my evening at the homecoming football game - turned out to be one of the best nights of my life.

"Got Them Bands" was right there with me the whole time, during the nomination and my pump-up song the morning the announcement was going to be made at the all-school pep assembly, where I sat in business formal at a round table on the basketball court, with all the other nominees. Frequent, long-suffering readers will know I have an indescribable fascination with Chicago rap artist Chief Keef and his extremely vulgar, graphic music and "Got Them Bands" is precisely the song that fuels my fascination for the man.

The song is fast-paced, laced with production values that are bombastic and heavily prominent, and includes some of the most pompous lyrics you'll find in a rap song. Keef discusses how much money he has, how women respect him and know he has a lot of money, and goes into detail about the clothes he wears - clothes he obtains because he has a lot of money.

There is little originality in the song, but it never failed to get me in the mood and excite me for what's next. Every now and then, I blast the song and it brings back memories of Homecoming 2013 and how revolutionary that event was for my self-confidence and my personality. Everyone needs a boisterious anthem - this is mine.

Give "Got Them Bands" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TruwcHa4g4c

No comments:

Post a Comment