Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Song #84: Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Lookin' Out My Back Door"

Song #84: Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Lookin' Out My Back Door" (1970)
Best of Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Tambourines and elephants are playing in the band; won't you take a ride on a flying spoon? Doo, doo doo. Wondrous apparition provided by magician. Doo, doo, doo, lookin' out my back door." 

If I could play a mean acoustic guitar, or even a banjo, I'd set aside an evening once a month where I'd pull up a lawnchair in my backyard, bring my cat out on a leash, smoke a cigar, and strum Creedence Clearwater Revival from dusk till dawn. I'd do it on an off-day from like six in the morning to around six at night, stopping for breaks every now and then, and just play the beautiful chords sung by one of the most underrated bands in history. 

I believe if Creedence Clearwater Revival hadn't disbanded so early before coming back as Creedence Clearwater Revisited, the quartet of performers would see greater prominence on those top one-hundred rock and roll bands lists and whatnot. If for nothing else, I think "Lookin' Out My Back Door" earns a place on the list of top one-hundred rock and roll songs, at least, for being such an incredibly relatable and heartfelt ballad about the simplicity yet immense satisfaction that can be brought about in America today.

The song concerns our narrator that returns home from a long day in Illinois, presumably for work, and all he desires it to sit down and take a rest on the porch. After a while, he begins seeing different escapades take place in his backyard, from a giant doing cartwheels, tambourines and elephants playing in a band, and a flying spoon that is accepting rides from people. One can definitely infer that more than just the fresh air was passing through our narrator's lungs, but that just adds to the fun and excitement of the song. Add some amazing guitar chords and an unforgettably lively melody to the intense visualizations the song provides and you have one of the happiest songs I know of.

Give "Lookin' Out My Back Door" a listen, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6p4l8E03VY

No comments:

Post a Comment