Friday, August 29, 2014

[Delayed Post]: Song #11: R.E.M. - "The One I Love"

Song #11: R.E.M. - "The One I Love" (1987)
Document
"This one goes out to the one I love..." 

If I could pinpoint one particular chorus in music that I felt was sung so powerfully, so contemplatively, and so mysteriously that it deserves an award in itself it has to be the chorus of "The One I Love," sung by Michael Stipe of R.E.M.. The chorus's words send shivers up my spine each time, and provide the perfect soundtrack and mood for an intimate evening with me and a cigar.

Since I first heard "The One I Love," stocking liquor at the good ol' liquor store where I work, I was instantly mesmerized by the chorus, its sound, and the way the song flowed. The nine-word phrase that is spoken at the start of the chorus made it so all I could do was stop, think, and listen to the words, spoken in such a dark and chilling way. This couldn't be a love song; it was far too dim and moody.

Contrary to the conception of the people who foolishly request this song and dedicate to their sweetheart on oldies radio, "The One I Love" is a song about using and mistreating people. This is affirmed by the follow-up line to Stipe's chorus-introduction by saying, "a simple prop to occupy my time," modifying the alleged soul he loves into somebody not an object of his desire but an object of his momentary satisfaction. When he's done with that prop, he'll move on to another, and another, and hopefully one day recognized the loneliness and emptiness that misusing people brought onto him.

"The One I Love" is an incredible ballad about self-reflection and momentary contempt of oneself, before our subject likely returns to his same old ways. There's little else to say besides that this blog goes out to those who've misunderstood.

Give "The One I Love" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0rBNf-sIvU

No comments:

Post a Comment