Saturday, August 16, 2014

Song #24: O-ZONE - "Dragostea Din Tei"

Song #24: O-ZONE - "Dragostea Din Tei" (2004)
DiscO-ZONE
"Vrei să pleci dar nu mă, nu mă iei."

I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what O-ZONE's international hit "Dragostea Din Tei" translates to in English, other than a vague idea given to me by my Romanian friend. It's the same way I really don't have any idea what Psy's "Gangnam Style" is supposed to mean in English. Foreign hits in America are interesting because very few people can accurately say what the song means in English, so one can see that the popularity stems from simply how the song sounds and how the music makes one feel.

Such statements are only proven by O-ZONE's smash-hit "Dragostead Din Tei," a song that was made heavily popular by a viral video in the mid-2000's of a man lipsyncing the song and dancing while wearing headphones. The hilarity of the video and the catchiness of the song made "Dragostea Din Tei" skyrocket in popularity to become one of the biggest international hits of the 2000's. For me, I loved the song from the first time I heard it, precisely because of the way it made me feel, giddy, excited, and entirely immersed in a sound I hadn't heard before. Revisiting it in June 2014, while my buddy and I danced to the song in his Mustang while waiting for his emissions test to commence, the song hasn't lost any of its charm - it's still as hypnotic and immersing as it originally was. This is mainly because of the song's sound, I feel, with its memorable instrumentation put to the crisp vocals of the trio of singers. The song is a must-hear, even if the meaning alludes you.

Give "Dragostea Din Tei," https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRx5PrAlUdY

No comments:

Post a Comment