Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Song #13: Meat Loaf - "Everything Louder Than Everything Else"

Song #13: Meat Loaf - "Everything Louder Than Everything Else" (1993)
Bat Out of Hell II: The Monster is Loose
"If you want my views on history, then there's something you should know - the three men I admire most are Curly, Larry, Moe."

I feel I made great use of the Meat Loaf song "Everything Louder Than Everything Else" my senior year in high school, when I was assigned a "video story" project where I would compile a collection of pictures, text, and music together into a brief short with the ultimate goal being to try and string along a theme or an overarching idea. My presentation was different from the remainder of the class because it was more about showcasing teenage nihilism and emphasizing that imperfections are our reality. I was heavily inspired by the invaluably honest and cutthroat works of director/photographer Larry Clark and director Harmony Korine, two men who I consider incredible influences in my life, and "Everything Louder Than Everything Else" really amplified the idea of living in the moment and living a "wasted youth," which I heavily depicted in the video project.

"Everything Louder Than Everything Else" is a powerful song in every sense of the word, with Meat Loaf, in my opinion, singing as powerfully as ever, articulating the unfathomable stress and complications that plague the life of the every day teenager. Meat fills an eight minute song with some of the most exhilarating social commentary I have yet to hear on teenagers, breathlessly detailing their mindset of living in the moment and ignoring existential questions in favor of receiving immediate gratification. The song is a masterclass in adolescent study and far too underrated.

Meat only makes his point by communicating such a message in a way teenagers can hear it, through loud guitar riffs, boisterous production, and headbanging instrumentals that almost result in auditory-whiplash. "Everything Louder Than Everything Else," just from its title, sums up the average teenager's "live fast, die young" mentality, and truly compliments the 1990's era rock, which was fun-loving and enticing to listen to, providing unforeseen levels of energy and explosive excitement. This is one of the best songs about youth that I know.

Give "Everything Louder Than Everything Else,"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evIhduAT2f4

No comments:

Post a Comment