Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Song #35: REO Speedwagon - "Ridin' the Storm Out"

Song #35: REO Speedwagon - "Ridin' the Storm Out" (1973)
Ridin' the Storm Out
"My wine bottle's low; I'm watching for the storm. I've been thinking lately of what I missed in the city."

I've already found myself mentioned REO Speedwagon's effective jam "Ridin' the Storm Out" in my blog concerning the end of my junior year, which proved itself to be a raucous storm of responsibility, stress, complicated work, and obligations. I suppose one could say it was my introduction to life. 

The last month of my junior year, I remember telling everyone I knew to "ride the storm out" when we ended our conversation (now my zinger at the end of a conversation with somebody is "be good, stay safe"). I thought "ride the storm out" effectively summarized what we were going through as high school students, and you obviously can't control weather patterns or adverse conditions, so all you can do is put on some good music, tackle the priorities head first, and metaphorically ride it out. That's precisely what I did.

"Ridin' the Storm Out" became my theme song for the month of May 2013, as my trigonometry class continued to be a rough, unforgivable burden of a class, I had just finished taking the ACT and was eying specific colleges, and had to finalize all my work for the forthcoming final exams, something that is necessary every year in high school but wasn't as easy as it was the previous years my junior year. I had a lot on my plate, and, as always, still wanted to try and hit one film a day and continue my writing, which proves difficult when you're getting barked at for not doing well in a class people know you're not very good at and have to worry about the priorities of hopefully being a college student soon down the road.

The song fit because it was upbeat (the kind of song I'm always in the mood for), beared lyrics that seemed to just be about surviving and waiting, which is the epitome of high school/college students, and had an infectious chorus that I could sing with passion. It was everything I needed at that time in my life and still do now that I have another four years that are sure to be stressful and consuming.

To anybody experiencing the kind of terrential downpour in the vein of mine, I think you'll want to click the link below.

Give "Ridin' the Storm Out" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTBv4kAdk_w

No comments:

Post a Comment