Friday, August 15, 2014

Song #25: Baha Men - "Coconut"

Song #25: Baha Men - "Coconut" (2002)
Move It Like This
"You put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em both together; put the lime in the coconut and you'll feel better!"

I've said before in my writeups for "Normal" and "Move It Like This" (numbers ninety-six and fifty-five on "The One-Hundred Songs of Steve Pulaski") that my love for the Baha Men as a child (and an adolescent) was unconditional and I'll continue to prove it with "Coconut." Being track number two on their album Move It Like This, I vividly remember my mom having to skip back a step on the CD player in the car so I could hear this particular jam for the umpteenth time. I don't know what it was that made me love this song, but perhaps I could start by recalling how it made my mother's Bonneville Pontiac rock back and forth in a rather unsubtle way.

Whatever it was, I fell in love with "Coconut" almost immediately, immersing myself in the song's infectiousness and living up every moment of its aura. The Baha Men deliver another rousing spectacle in terms of production and mixing, giving us yet another inanely that is equal parts silly and carefree as it is bombastic. "Coconut" is yet another example of a song by the group that is much superior than its overplayed hit "Who Let the Dogs Out?" but doesn't receive any airplay at all, unlike the aforementioned song.

Give "Coconut" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiE48aAx9qA

No comments:

Post a Comment