Saturday, August 30, 2014

Song #10: Fear Factory feat. Gary Numan - "Cars"

Song #10: Fear Factory feat. Gary Numan - "Cars" (1999)
Obsolete
"Here in my car, nothing seems."

IMPORTANT NOTE: As hard as it is for me to believe, we have reached the final ten songs of "The One-Hundred Songs of Steve Pulaski" blog series and, on September 8th, 2014, the final writeup will be published. There will be more in the vein of a "music dedicated" blog series from me, I can assure you, but I digress. I make this brief note to say that these next ten songs have a more significant, clearer meaning to me than the previous. The previous ninety mean a great deal to me, so much so that the magic is hard to articulate in words, but these next ten songs hold a solidified, incorruptible place in my heart. While this series is not ranked in any way, not even these next ten songs, all I can ask is you read these next ten blogs with a greater sense of seriousness than you may have given the last few blogs. Enjoy; I will release a small "statistical" blog for "The One-Hundred Songs of Steve Pulaski" on September 9th, 2014.

SONG #10: When it comes to remixes of some of my favorite songs, most are just played once before they're quickly forgotten and never listened to again, on the count of my dissatisfaction with the remix or my complete indifference. Others are kept around on my phone for that special time they're needed, but that special time only comes every once in a while. A select few number of remixes hold a prominence on my phone's playlist and the most played remix on my phone is of Gary Numan's "Cars," which is put together by an alternative rock band called Fear Factory.

The remix of "Cars" provides more of a nu-mental, punk feel to a song that was firmly implanted in the techno genre of music, and blends the vocals of the band's lead singer Burton C. Bell with the cold, detached vibes brought forth by Gary Numan. The song is a masterclass of metal and techno, brought together to create a forceful song that often helped score the kind of hangout my friend Mike and I began having in the fall/winter of 2013. The hangout was simple and effective, where we'd often cruise the streets of our neighborhood, hitting all the common places for teenagers (Best Buy, White Castle, and Goodwill), while using time in his Mustang or his father's Jeep to blast music and be as raucous as we could. The remix of "Cars" enthusiastically helped better an evening, mainly because it was such a fun song to listen to and that it pumped so well through bass-heavy speakers.

Expertly-produced, with the sound carefully mixed and the vocals timed nicely, it's a wonder why Fear Factory's rendition of "Cars" doesn't get as much recognition as the remixes of other songs.

Give "Cars" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pa-95S7Hvg

No comments:

Post a Comment