Monday, August 11, 2014

Song #29: Elton John - "Crocodile Rock"

Song #29: Elton John - "Crocodile Rock" (1972)
Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player
"While the other kids were rockin' 'round the clock, we were hopping and bopping to the crocodile rock!"

Even as the internet continue to dominate other mediums, showing a greater sense of variety and less limitations than others like Television and radio, I admittedly still gravitate towards radio before I do online radio or podcasts. I've always found a certain love for the primitive qualities of radio, that have more or less stayed primitive since radio's inception. The first two years of my high school career were defined by two radio shows - WKSC-FM's DreX in the Morning (which was abruptly taken off the air in December 2010 with no explanation, which still makes me livid whenever I think of it) and WJMK-FM's Eddie and JoBo's morning show. These were two shows that never failed to wake me up, make me laugh, and get my day off to a fitting start before I endured a long day at school.

The big difference between DreX and Eddie and JoBo was that DreX was an anchor on a Top 40 station, and even though his show was talk oriented, you still heard a mainstream hit every now and then. Eddie and JoBo played classic songs, from the sixties, seventies, and the eighties specifically, which is how I was introduced to a barrage of hits from yesteryear. One of them was Elton John's supremely catchy and addicting "Crocodile Rock," which stands as my favorite Elton song.

"Crocodile Rock" was a song that once I heard it, I had to hear it again. Then again. And then once more. The song ranked as my most placed song of sophomore year in high school, each time fulfilling me with the same kind of energy and excitement as the first time I heard it. The song is a simple story about bonding over music and the appreciation of dance, concerning the narrator and his close friend Susie, who would unconventionally dance with him to the crocodile rock, while everyone else was "rockin' 'round the clock."

The song makes me reminisce on a time I had a close girl-friend when I was in first/second grade; her name was Nikki and her and I did everything together. She still ranks as one of the cutest, sweetest girl I've ever met, but as life would have it, she moved after second grade, and I haven't seen her since. I maintain incredibly loose contact with her, but it's almost impossible to have it the way it used to be. She's off doing her own thing, hopping and bopping to the tune of a different song. All I can do is wish her good fortune and reminisce, as I so often do.


Give "Crocodile Rock" a listen, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlSh_6xqUAE

No comments:

Post a Comment